- SEED Alliance – Proudly working together since 2014
This project involves the construction of a classroom on the second floor at the school, Jesus el Buen Pastor, in Santa Apolonia. This project will be the third project funded by SOS in Santa Apolonia since 2016. Former projects include a school kitchen and a first floor classroom at Jesus el Buen Pastor.
Currently an organization provides scholarships to student at the school, so enrollment is rapidly increasing, particularly in first grade. Our partnering organization, SEED, has urgently asked for more classrooms that will provide students with an appropriate learning environment. The classroom that is to be constructed will be used as a first grade classroom.
In October of 2017 SOS International Headquarters visited Santa Apolonia with SEED Alliance, and you can read about the community here.
- Volunteers will stay in a host family’s home or in the Jesus el Buen Pastor church (dependent on final group size). They will latrines and flush toilets. Their accommodations are 200 metres from the worksite and will walk to work every day.
- Meals will consist of rice, beans, tortillas, fruit/vegetables, and some meat.
- SOS groups generally work for about 6 hours a day, for 8 days of the 14 day trip.
- Tasks will include but are not limited to: digging trenches, cutting and tying rebar, laying bricks, moving supplies, and mixing cement.
- Every group is overseen by a foreman during construction days and any work requiring technical training will be financed by SOS
- You’ll have the late afternoon/evenings and two rest days throughout the trip to relax, explore the local area and participate in the local community.
For more information on Outreach Trip Logistics, like what to expect, supervision, and safety please visit: www.sosvolunteertrips.org